In one of my last blogs I looked at alternative tools to those supplied to schools.
In The Mirosoft deal, which provides state and integrated schools with Microsoft software, is the sharepoint client. Schools have to buy the sharepoint server or connect to a provider using sharepoint to be able to use this.
I was not aware at the time of an alternative to sharepoint. But, thanks to Jason, I have been enlightened. This is a tool that uses open office or star office or microsoft office. Cool – document management & collaboration
The product is 0<sup>3</sup> Spaces – http://www.o3spaces.com
Its worth checking this out. The pricing is for the professional form but they do have educational pricing on request.
The key features are:
- End user friendly Document Management & Collaboration
- Web 2.0 AJAX web-client
- Desktop integration
- OpenOffice.org / StarOffice & Microsoft Office integration
- Template Management
- Document security
- LDAP Integration – nice to be able to authenicate the users
- Cross platform – Linux, Solaris, Windows or Mac
- language Localizations – English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Swedish and Polish.
This could certainly be a useful tool for schools like Warrington that are going open source. Small school = community edition = free