In this “on the wire” update we have a range of materials ranging from A video on the state of the internet to Popular science magazine.
1. State of the Internet Video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6MfnuvH4Rs&feature=player_embedded This is a useful video for IT classes or for Professional learning for staff. The video paints an interesting picture of the changes we are witnessing on the internet. If you link in to its the statistics from Facebook its very interesting reading – https://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics. This materials is very useful for setting the scene for Digital citizenship discussions.
Here are some of the facebook stats:
- More than 400 million active users
- 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- More than 35 million users update their status each day
- More than 60 million status updates posted each day
- More than 3 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
- More than 5 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each week
- More than 3.5 million events created each month
- More than 3 million active Pages on Facebook
- More than 1.5 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook
- More than 20 million people become fans of Pages each day
- Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans
2. Popular Science Archives – http://www.popsci.com/archives – Poular Science magazine has joined with Google to make its entire back catalog of issues available. Thats 137 years of popular science magazines. AND ITS FREE!
3. Wildlife Finder – http://www.bbc.co.uk/wildlifefinder/ This is a useful reference tool for science and environmental projects. Enter the name of the organism and it seraches the BBC archives. Useful for images, video and more
4. Social Media Guidelines for Schools Wiki - http://socialmediaguidelines.pbworks.com/ This is a collaborative project looking at acceptable use guidelines and social media.
5. Visualising the Internet – http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8552415.stm This is a interactive Slide show from the BBC on the Internet. The page has collected stats from various sources into one convenient location.
….. online drawing tools - http://www.allgraphicdesign.com/graphicsblog/2008/05/online-drawing-tools-free-online-painting-sketching-tools/ - this is a great blog post from All Graphic Design that lists a great selection of online drawing tools.