Educause has just released their latest Seven things presentation. This particular release and update is “Seven things you should know about the evolution of the textbook“. To keep in them this publication is available in pdf and ePub formats.
They detail the changes that are now available in the electronic format compared to the traditional static format. These include 3D charts and tables, interactive maps, continual updates, and quizzes with instant feedback
I have had a limited play with Apples iBook author and the interactive widget that I found included:
- The Gallery Widget – an interactive image gallery complete with captions for each image
- The Movie Widget
- The review widget – this allows you to put in questions and have your readers test themselves and recieve feedback
- The Keynote widget – embeds keynote presentations (convert ppt to key and insert)
- The interactive widget – zoom into areas of a images and see additional information
- The 3D widget – embed 3D models in the Collada file format (.dae) – this is an export option from Google Sketch-up
- The HTML widget – embed HTML 5 code in your ebook – this opens up HUGE potential
How long till we see textbooks like – Al Gore’s Our Choice as the standard.
How will libraries issue ebooks?