The Digital Citizen AUP for younger students – feedback please

As part of the work I am doing on Digital Citizenship I have taken the six facets of the digital citizen, which was designed for a senior school and adult audience, and adapted them for a younger audience. The original facets are:

• Respect yourself
  • Protect yourself
  • Respect others
  • Protect others
  • Respect Intellectual property
  • Protect Intellectual property

See AUP – http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Digital+Citizen+AUA

See The Digital Citizen – http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/The+Digital+Citizen

Here is the younger version. I would appreciate comments and feedback – target audience: Middle Years students, 10-13 years old. As with other materials once I have refined this I will post it on the Edorigami wiki under a creative commons share and share-alike agreement

Digital Citizenship

This is a Digital citizenship outline for Middle Years Students.

Introduction:

A citizen is a person who upholds and respects the laws of their country but also acts in an appropriate way. They respect moral and ethical guidelines and behaviours. They show care and concern for themselves, their neighbours and other people. The citizen respects other peoples property and expects others to do the same for them.

The Digital citizen applies the same rules to the cyberworld. A digital citizen is a person who obeys the legal rules about using digital technologies and also acts with respect and care for themselves, others and property. They expect the same repect to be shown to them.

There are three key parts to digital citizenship. They are:

1. Looking after yourself

2. Looking after other people

3. looking after property

1. Looking after yourself:

• Choosing online names that are suitable and respectful.

• Only inviting people you actually know in the real world to be your friends in online world.

• Only visiting sites that are appropriate. Respecting the rules that websites have about age. Some sites are only for adults. If you would not show the website to you parents or grandparents then its inappropriate.

• Setting your privacy settings so that only the people you know can see you and your information

• Only putting online information that is appropriate and posting pictures that suitable. Not everyone seeing your profile or pictures will be friendly.

• Always reporting anything that makes you feel uncomfortable or unhappy.

• Talking to trusted adults, like your parents and teachers about your online experiences, the good ones and the bad ones.

2. Looking after others:

• By showing you care by not flaming other people or forwarding messages that are unkind or inappropriate.

• By not getting involved in conversations that are unkind, mean or bullying.

• By reporting any conversations you see that are unkind, mean or bullying. If they were talking about you and you would not like it, then its inappropriate.

• Some websites are disrespectful because they show people behaving inappropriately, are racist or unkind. Show your respect for other by avoiding these sites. If you visit one by accident, close it and tell your teacher or an adult.

• Show respect for other privacy by not trying to get into their private spaces, by not stalking them or copying their pictures.

3. Looking after property

• by not stealing other people property. Its easy to download music, games and movies, but piracy (downloading media that you have not bought) is just the name given to stealing online.

• by not sharing the music, movies, games and other software that you own with other people.

• by checking that the information you are using is correct. Anyone can say anything on the web, you need to check that the research is correct by using reliable sites. If in doubt ask your teacher.

• by looking after other people’s websites, acting appropriately when visiting them, not making changes or vandalising them and reporting any damage that you find.

4 thoughts on “The Digital Citizen AUP for younger students – feedback please

1. Pingback: Langwitches Blog » links for 2010-05-11

2. Pingback: links for 2010-05-13 | Creating a Path for Learning in the 21st Century

3. Thanks for this, I am blogging with my year 5 students and finding it a fabulously authentic way to bring cyber safety into the classroom. I am though interested in just how much personal information it is appropriate to reveal, after all my students are 10 and I am feeling that in the current climate of angst about facebook privacy that perhaps personal photographs are not appropriate?
    I will share your ideas with my class.

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention The Digital Citizen AUP for younger students – feedback please | Educational Origami -- Topsy.com